Sunday, June 1, 2008

Reflecting and Remembering...

Wow, once again the month of May flew by and I am disappointed that I neglected my blog. Anyway reflecting back on this month, it has been an emotional roller coaster.

On the 14th, it was 1 year since my grandma Bjorgum passed away. She was a wonderful person with a kind and caring heart. I miss her greatly and I wish that she would have met Jonas! Some of my favorite memories of her include:
- serving us peaches and ice-cream when we visited her in B.C. oh so many years ago
- spending the summer of grade 5 with grandma and grandpa in Camrose (where mom insisted I take swimming lessons with the grade 2's - I was the giant in the class)
- dress shopping with V in the store grandma worked at - I think it was after hours so we had the whole store to ourselves! Grandma always dressed to the nines!


I think this was the last picture I have of grandma and I. It was taken with my camera phone so it is fuzzy. We were having dinner at Whitespot with my mom, Aunty Laurel, grandma, Aunty Elaine and Cory.

Then on the 28th, it was 2 years since my father passed away. Sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday...he was a wonderful father and I really miss him. And of course I really wish that he could have met Jonas! Some of my favorite memories of my dad include:
- he was Mr. mom and took care of me before I started school. I remember sitting on his lap and watching TV with him
- kissing the 'bump' - he would put his tongue up against his cheek to form a 'bump' and we would have to kiss it in order for it to go away
- helping him fix machinery - I had to run and get the tools, he was always good at explaining what tool he wanted and somehow he knew where everything was even though the garage was not always the tidiest
- helping me buy my first car - which was a chevy not a dodge - he tried to bargain the price down but I was already getting the 'family' deal since I was buying it from Cory's sister

This is one of my favorite picture of my parents and me. It was taken in May 2005 at my Engineering grad ceremony.


Dad and me - taken in April 2006, at my wedding reception.

Then this weekend I was saddened by the news that my Thorsby school classmate passed away. A tragic ATV accident claimed his life - at the age of 26 :( I am still in shock and my thoughts and prayers go out to the Stieb family.

On a happier note, Jonas is almost 4 months and he has had a few 'firsts' in the last few weeks.
- 1st visit with great grandma and grandpa Halwa!
- 1st swim at the Leduc pool with Jodi and Molly - and he loved it!
- 1st movie in the theatre (Ironman) - I think he just liked the all the lights
- 1st time rolling over from back to front - he did it 3 times in one day, twice when I wasn't looking and now he won't roll over again (all in good time)
- 1st time he discovered his feet taste good or that they are another chew 'toy'

We weighed and measured Jonas about a week ago and he is a 14lbs.5oz. and 24.75 inches - wow has he grown! His sleeping pattern has also changed...I guess he is like his parents, Jonas loves to stay up late but then he loves to sleep in. Lately I've been lucky to get him to sleep before midnight, he has been waking up a couple times in the night to eat and then he has been sleeping in until 10/11am but I guess that's ok!


Jonas visiting great grandma and grandpa Halwa. Grandpa would imitate Jonas' cooing/talking and grandma insisted that we take her stuffed animals for Jonas - 4 of them. She assured me that she would win more animals at bingo!


Grandpa holding Jonas' foot - for a neat photo


Yummy feet!


Jonas and mommy!


Cool dude! Ready for an outing with mommy!


Jonas falling asleep on daddy and still trying to peek at the TV. Oh and sucking on his new soother which I love because it is see-through so you can see his lips and tongue!

Until next time...take care!

1 comment:

Vanessa Gooch said...

Great POST!!! It made me cry--see you do have a soft, sentimental, emotional side to you!! :oP

Love the pictures too! The picture of you and Ma & Pa at your grad has always been a favourite! That is a nice picture of the Lee family with Gram and Gramps! And Little Jonas is growing so fast. We are really looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!